Road Map to a Haunted October

Here I am, now three days away from departure. Some things have changed since I last made an entry. My friends have all, for various good reasons, had to remove themselves from my plans. I was originally planning to have my mother meet me in California to help drive home. However, at her suggestion and after no small amount of struggle with the idea, I have decided to let her come on the whole trip with me. There will still be some things I do alone but, as my mother is the person who instilled in me a love of horror, I think sharing this trip with her will be fun. It also never hurts to have a second set of eyes.

At any rate, here is a breakdown of the travel with haunted activities in the mix.

Night 1: Saturday October 5th, driving from Greenville, SC, to Weston, West Virginia. Once in Weston, I will be going to spend the night in the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. I will be locked in from 11:30pm to 6am with, hopefully, some other people. I watched a Japanese movie about some kids exploring an abandoned asylum and let's just say, I hope that doesn't happen to me. Mom will be kicking back in a hotel while I am looking for ghosts. Read all about the horrible history of the asylum here.

Night 2-3: Sunday October 6th to Monday October 7th. As stated in a previous post, Sunday will be driving to Chicago with all day Monday to explore and experience Chicago more than I did on my last trip. Of course, I will be staying at the very haunted Congress Plaza Hotel  that was a hang-out of Al Capone. From bed-kicking ladies to giggling child ghosts in the halls, this should be a fun one. Plus, I just get to see some of Chicago. Anything I MUST do? Let me know in the comments. Read more about the haunted Congress Plaza here.

Night 4: Tuesday, October 8th. This day will see us finally begin Route 66. We will drive from Chicago to St. Louis, ending our day in the haunted as shit Lemp Mansion. There is a ghost hunters show that was filmed there you can find on youtube with a little googling. There are only four rooms to stay in and we have the one where the first suicide happened. Otherwise, I am excited to see the beginnings of Route 66 and what is left of it in Illinois. Read more about Lemp Mansion here.

Night 5: Wednesday, October 9th. The trip through Missouri continues as we make our way to Springfield, MO. We end up in the Walnut Street Inn, another haunted little place but at least I get my own spa bath. Since I used to live in Missouri but never really got to explore it, this day should be interesting. Read more about the Walnut Street Inn here.

Night 6: Thursday, October 10th. On this day, we work further down Route 66 from Missouri to Oklahoma. We end up at the haunted Skirvin Hotel. At this point, I am hoping to have some great stories from Route 66. While I don't have that portion of the journey as planned out as the haunted stuff, I have dozens and dozens of options to see every day. Read about the NBA versus the ghosts of the Skirvin here.

Night 7-8 Friday, October 11th and Saturday October 12th. Nothing spooky on the 11th, just driving from Oklahoma City to a little town called Vega, TX. I needed a couple of nights without ghosts and this is one of them. Night 8, on the other hand, will be at the end of a day that sees us journey from Vega to Albuquerque, NM. Once we get to Walter White's stomping grounds, we will be staying at the Parq Central. This will be the second former insane asylum I will be staying in overnight but this one has been converted into an upscale hotel. Check out some trash talk about the Parq here.

Night 9 Sunday October 13th. Moving from Albuquerque to Flagstaff in a day and enjoying all that Route 66 has to offer. We end the day at the Hotel Monte Vista in Flagstaff. Find out more about the hauntings at this hotel here.

Nights 10-12, Monday October 14th to Wednesday October 16th. Leaving Arizona, we begin a three day California adventure. Night 10 is spent in the California border town of Needles (no ghosts there). But then, we sally forth to Los Angeles (where I currently am as I write this) and spend two nights in the ghost-packed Georgian Hotel. How will left coast ghosts differ from the mountain-dwelling madmen of West Virginia or the pin-striped ghouls of Chicago? I aim to find out and maybe see Robert DeNiro hanging out. See more about the haunted Georgian here.

Thursday morning, we get up and hightail it back to Albuquerque in a hella long drive. Friday we get to Arkansas and Saturday, we aim to be back in Greenville. No meandering for the last three days, just ass-hauling. I assume I will be hating life at that point but, isn't that what a good vacation does for ya? I hope to come home with some good ghost stories, some good Route 66 stories and most of my sanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exciting Ghost Adventures: Lemp Mansion

Nights 2-3: Chi Town, Chi Town We Gonna Show Em How We Get Down